RE Curriculum Intent
To provide students with a knowledge and understanding of a range of religions and world views
To enable students to express ideas and insights about the significance of religions and world views
To enable students to gain skills needed to engage seriously with religions and world views
RE is taught to Year 7 students in one allocated period per week.
The aims of RE are:
- To develop knowledge about Christianity, Judaism and Islam, with an emphasis on Christianity.
- To gain a greater understanding of God’s life, worship and places of worship within these three religions.
- To develop their fundamental sense of what is right and wrong.
|Autumn 1||Who is Jesus?|
|Autumn 2||The Birth of Jesus & The Meaning of Christmas|
|Spring 1||Stories from the Bible & Christian Place of Worship|
|Spring 2||The Meaning of Easter|
|Summer 1||Jews & Judaism|
|Summer 2||Muslims & Islam|
Year 8 & 9
Students in Key Stage 3 have one lesson of Religious Education (RE) every week.
The aims of RE in year 8 & 9 are:
- To extend their knowledge to the other main world religions, and their corresponding beliefs, values and traditions.
- To develop their understanding of the influence of these religions on individuals, families, communities and cultures.
- To develop an appreciation of and respect for other people’s beliefs and practises.
|Autumn 1||What does it mean to be a Jew?|
|Spring 1||What do Muslims Believe?|
|Spring 2||What Happened During Jesus’ Last Week on Earth?|
|Summer 1||What does it mean to be a Hindu?|
|Summer 2||What is the Buddhist way of life?|
|Autumn 1||What does it mean to be a Sikh?|
|Autumn 2||Why is light used as a symbol at Christmas?|
|Spring 1||What does it mean to be a Muslim?|
|Spring 2||Easter around the world|
|Summer 1||Who are the Jews?|
|Summer 2||Hindu use of images|
Year 10 & 11
- Students to fully develop a sense of identity and belonging within a multi-faith and multi-cultural society and global community.
- Students to fully understand the importance of having a respect for and sensitivity to others from a different faith with other beliefs.
- Students to understand the importance of combating prejudice and to be fully accepting of differences.
|Autumn||Religion and Life Issues - Prejudice|
|Spring||Religion and Life Issues - Planet Earth|
|Summer||Religion and Citizenships - Relationships|
|Autumn||Religion and Citizenship – Human Rights|
|Spring||Religion and Life Issues – Animal Rights|
|Summer||Worship and Key Beliefs - Worship|